Sunday 13 February 2011

preoccupancy


level 3


north core landing


south core incomplete


east core


halogen


level 8


ive planned a series like this for quite a while. in my privileged (pah) position in the construction industry, i am one of the few who gets to see buildings like this one, before they've been clad, or partitioned. naked concrete lends itself to a strange and austere atmosphere, and creates spaces and vistas which will never be seen again, once the rooms are built and it's made watertight. that's what i hope will come out in these photographs. to me, this is the site i have trudged around for the past 8 months; that's the floor slab that we had all the trouble with back in october; there are the stairs that we lowered in when it was -11C. so it is with interest, a certain amount of bitterness, and the tiniest semblance of pride that i post these. Let me know what you think.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love these!! i especially like the contrast of a strip light or colourful painted number against the grey. i like grey though.

more importantly though (and sorryt his isn't actually about the photos) you MADE this. that's mental!! it will exist for years and years to coem and you were there during its creation!! bitter as you might feel, that is definitely an amazing accomplishment to be very proud of!!

exclaim.

missyouboo

xx

Ger said...

Thanks rĂ¼! It is a bit mental isn't it? It wasn't just me though, there was another guy helping.

Here, I better ring you one of these evenings. I have lots of news.

xx

Paradox-Pictures said...

Hey Ger.

I have looked at this series a few times now, and they still have an oddly eerie aesthetic to it. Maybe that is the 'work in progress' aspect to the building that we never get to see, before it has a face or a personality.

As always your composition is perfectly tempered. I can see the architecture book and Cotton's photo-bible are skewing your eyes perfectly.

Well done, this is a beautiful series that shows meticulous attention to detail and plenty of promise for a larger series.

Skype soon? I miss your face.

P

Ger said...

Bob-o,
I really appreciate it, it had been in my head for a long time so it just feels good to see it through. It's not quite what I had in my mind's eye, but overall I'm happy with it as my first proper post-365 project! As always your comments are more than welcome, oh wise one! Definite skype soon, would be great to catch up
Ger